Kyla is doing great in school, it's the middle of the 2nd trimester and we just got her progress report. She got 'at or exceeds grade level' in all but 2 area's. She got 'at or almost below grade level' for math data analysis and writing. The writing one frustrates me because she has beautiful printing. She messes up I think on purpose sometimes, because she is bored - and even thinks it's funny.
We had a nice little chat about what types of things are funny, ie; silly faces, jokes, when you accidentally call Kade Jack, etc... however making letters that are sloppy isn't funny. She agreed. Well, now I'm a little worried because we were practicing writing letters to each other last night and after about 2 flips of a new paper she announced that she "just didn't want to write me a letter anymore" because she just "can't get it right."
Uh oh.
With that, we settled on writing the alphabet. I showed her how it's ok if they go a little bit over or under the lines, as long as you don't rush through and keep the correct shape, they look great no matter what. That was not satisfactory for her and my worry started. She can not grow up like me. She can not cry when she can't get things perfect, she just can't. It's torture.
I took her in my arms and talked about how saying "I can't" is only for after you've tried something a few times and figured out that it doesn't work for you. I showed her all of the examples of her writing and how each example looks a little different and all are wonderful. I told her that she doesn't have to try to do any better than she has already done because she's already shown that she knows how her teacher ( also a perfectionist ) wants her to do it. I just don't want her to do less than she is capable of. Is that ok, I'm asking myself now. I think so, right?
I took her in my arms and talked about how saying "I can't" is only for after you've tried something a few times and figured out that it doesn't work for you. I showed her all of the examples of her writing and how each example looks a little different and all are wonderful. I told her that she doesn't have to try to do any better than she has already done because she's already shown that she knows how her teacher ( also a perfectionist ) wants her to do it. I just don't want her to do less than she is capable of. Is that ok, I'm asking myself now. I think so, right?
I held her and told her perfect is not a word that makes any sense. Everyone's idea of "perfect" is different, so writing perfect letters isn't something that is possible. Just doing them the best that you can is the right thing to do. I hope every day that my emotional daughter isn't so hard on herself due to what she's already lived up to so far.
On that same note, she is growing up way too fast. She can read absolutely anything, she can work a computer like you wouldn't believe, and she's trying to mentor Jack. She's making up songs and routines to these songs. She even decided the other day that she needed a nap in order to be in a better mood. That one really impressed me, I have to say. I have two numbers to piano teachers that I NEED to call today to get something set up for her. She's dying to do music - and thankfully, wants to play soccer again now that she's had a small break from it. I'm glad.
We signed Kade up for Karate and Bowling through Lakewood Parks and Rec. Well.... Karate didn't go so well. I was in Seattle for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, and so Robert got off work early to take the boys. ( Jack signed up too, as well as the kids friend Will ) Robert called me 15 min into the class saying: "Well, that's done." Quick side note: If I were there, I know things would have been different!
He says Jack tried for about 4 minutes, then realized he could sit on his daddy's lap instead. Kade lasted about 15 minutes then accidentally got hit and came crying to Robert as well. Apparently the instructor was a 58 yr old, obese woman with one leg in a wheelchair. She had no connection to the kids what-so-ever. Yes, this is all true. I got Bill to verify this information with his mom who took Will. I couldn't believe it, and frankly, I couldn't stop laughing! I'm sure the boys expected some young man in a white Karate uniform to be standing up there. ( as did I actually )
He says Jack tried for about 4 minutes, then realized he could sit on his daddy's lap instead. Kade lasted about 15 minutes then accidentally got hit and came crying to Robert as well. Apparently the instructor was a 58 yr old, obese woman with one leg in a wheelchair. She had no connection to the kids what-so-ever. Yes, this is all true. I got Bill to verify this information with his mom who took Will. I couldn't believe it, and frankly, I couldn't stop laughing! I'm sure the boys expected some young man in a white Karate uniform to be standing up there. ( as did I actually )
Bowling went much better! Kade was counting down the minutes until bowling ever since I told him about it. He loves to bowl. Well, his patience was tested while listening to the guy talk for the first 15 minutes, and he kept whispering to me, "when do we get to actually bowl mom?" through this process, but once that was done - he was out there rolling the ball like a champ! He raised his arms and said: "YES!" and cheered himself on and spun around when he did good. He smiled constantly and hated waiting his turn. He got 88 pts in 7 frames! I told him that I would buy him his own ball, bag, and shoes if he completes the class and wants to sign up again. He was so happy, which makes me SO happy.
Kade is also really really really good at the wii sports games we have. His sportsmanship isn't always that great, but his skills sure are. We are going to get him in 2 months of preschool very soon, like we did with Kyla and will start baseball with kindergarten. He is writing me letters all on his own as well now, and is totally engaged in the math problems that Kyla is trying to teach him. He's excited to go to school and "listen" to a new teacher.
My favorite thing he has said to me lately is when he whispered this to me: "mom, we are making you valentines card's and giving you chocolates in a little heart. Maybe you can share one with me?" Such a sweet loving little boy - when he wants to be.
Jackie. My baby. My soft, cuddly, full of kisses, hand holding, giggles, and tenderness baby. My 3 year old is soon going to be 4. He can not wait. He says at least once a day: I'm going to be 4 on my birthday. When he didn't want to do Karate: "I'm only 3 mom, I just want to sit with my dad until I'm 4."
Jack is also very good with the wii. He frustrates the heck out of Kyla and Kade when he does so good! He's learning how to play computer games too, and we just bought him his first big boy bike. He's always had his brothers hand me downs.
Jack is also very good with the wii. He frustrates the heck out of Kyla and Kade when he does so good! He's learning how to play computer games too, and we just bought him his first big boy bike. He's always had his brothers hand me downs.
Jack is a very good manipulator. If he sees Kyla or Kade get in trouble, he immediately walks over to whatever parent is doing the disciplining and announces really loud: "I love you Mom, or Dad" and kisses our hand or something. If we ask for hugs from Kyla or Kade or if we try to sit by them, Jack will jump right in there and try to take up their space. When Robert and I sit on the couch on opposite ends, Jack lays in the middle with his head on one lap and promptly tells the other parent: "here you can rub my feet."
He announces out of the blue: "Your my best friend forever" and it makes our hearts melt. He walks up to Kyla randomly and just says: I love you Tyla. He tries all the time to help Kade do things, but Kade is not so willing to let him be the sweet brother that he is. He keeps on trying though. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely picked up some of Kade's bad habits, but thankfully, the sweet ones are much more prevalent than the negative ones.
The newest thing in our house is doing "cheers" with their drinks. We have a rule though, that you can't do a cheers without saying something nice. We all take turns saying a nice thing about everyone at the table each time we want to "cheer." It went over quite well last night - and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to do that again tonight!
The newest thing in our house is doing "cheers" with their drinks. We have a rule though, that you can't do a cheers without saying something nice. We all take turns saying a nice thing about everyone at the table each time we want to "cheer." It went over quite well last night - and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to do that again tonight!
I LOVE MY FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert and I frequently text each other through out the day saying: I need my babies. Or I love our babies. Yesterday we went out on a small happy hour date and really enjoyed ourselves, but the 2nd part of the time we were there, was spent smiling with pride about how lucky we are!!
Robert and I frequently text each other through out the day saying: I need my babies. Or I love our babies. Yesterday we went out on a small happy hour date and really enjoyed ourselves, but the 2nd part of the time we were there, was spent smiling with pride about how lucky we are!!
5 comments:
Loved the post!!!!! Love you guys more!
I read your half novel... and I just want to say that your kids are adorable!! and Kyla is soooo smart and pretty! Jack and Kade are awesome little men! I want to squeeze them all!
ok.. that is all.
Love you Shanny!
-Mari
So happy that all is going so well :o) Thanks for the update!
xoxo
I missed your long blogs!! Have I ever told you how much I love to be around your family? It's so similar to ours. Yes, chaotic, loud, crazy. But sssoooo full of love. I just want to run over to your house now and hang out!!
Mandy
I love that Kyla is in her 2nd trimester! I think pregnancy periods will be ingrained in your head forever!
Post a Comment