Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Goals

We all have goals right?
How many people take the steps to actually meet their goals?

Some goals are simple and readily attainable, only perhaps delayed by our own laziness.
Some goals are complex and require a lot more planning, researching, and chances are, the assistance of others.

I wonder how many of these goals are private, and how many are openly discussed?

Of the private ones, I'm always curious as to what would keep them locked away in our own minds. When I'm curious about things like that, of course I only have myself to rely on in trying to figure these things out. I'm hoping though, that maybe a few of you reading this will help me out.

The open ones usually have to do with losing weight, travelling somewhere, meeting someone, trying a food you haven't before, etc.. The conversation starter type of goals that friends and strangers can sort of "bond" over.

But what about the more private ones? Why can't we bond over these as well? Don't we usually need the help of others, research, and planning to accomplish these goals? I guarantee if it's your goal, someone else at some time, has had a variation of that type of goal.

I'm a big talker, and would pretty much tell everyone nearly everything; I think because I just feel better that way. It makes me sad that so many people keep difficult situations to themselves because they are afraid of how they will be perceived. As years have gone by, I think I've figured out that my fear absolutely is not wanting to be judged, or more abundantly, I fear people will take my openness as being self involved. I honestly just want to help people feel comfortable about life and all of it's up's and down's - and to not judge a book by it's cover.

So that brings me to my goals:

My normal open ones:
Get healthier again / start back with weight training.
Drink more water and find my lost self discipline with food.
Have more patience with my kids and my chaotic life.
Go on family trips - small at first, - then BIG, like out of the country!

My starting to be more open goals:
To make sure that Kade receives the best possible up bringing for his brain - or in other words, to not have him feel like his daddy did growing up.
To not be so concerned about what I look like when being around other people, and not letting a negative self-esteem issue stop me from having a good time.

My BIG goal that I'm afraid will not be received well, that scares me, AND that I really want to do but have NO idea on how.
I want to write a book. A real book that gets published and that people buy. :)

Whew..... now I'm sitting here wondering if I should re-read and perhaps not post at all. WHY IS THAT?? It's NOT that big of a deal. I LOVE writing. Why do I doubt sincerity when I'm told other people enjoy my writing.... I used to have so much confidence in myself and my abilities. Why am I afraid to fail now?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and more importantly some of your goals!

Anyone?

2 comments:

challybell said...

I think you are awsome and can do anything... talking about your issues shows great courage and comitment to what you want to do... those of us that cannot do that lack courage and self esteem... although you say you lack self esteem I could never tell... you always seem confident and strong... and aware of your downfalls and aware that they can be fixed... I believe you will write a book and I will be first in line to buy it!

Mandy said...

Ummm, no Challybell, I'll be the first one to buy her book! Look Shannon, two people already fighting over a copy of your book!

Remember that time when you said you wanted to take a class about publishing a book? I am soo DOWN with you. We'll take it together and before you know it, our books will be on the Bestsellers list!!

I love your openness, and I feel all the same things! Stupid self-doubt. I love that openness about you...my OWN life is an open book. Self analysis works best when you can say things oat loud and get other points of view from others.

My goals:
Be a better mom than my mom.
Show my love to my family EVERY DAY
Finish writing my book
Start exercising and eat less junk food
Not be afraid of what other people think of me.

And the list goes on and on, but those are the ones at the top.

Ingrams <3 Beards