
My home school district, as I'm sure all others, has boundaries within it's city limits to decide what school your children will go to. Well the school I want my kids to go to ( the same school that both my dad and I went to ), has a boundary that is 1 house away from me. The boundaries changed sometime after I went there because the house I grew up in is in the same boundaries as the house I currently live in.
Kyla started school last year, and I went through the process of doing a "school of choice" - got denied, applied for an Intradistrict Permit, got denied - went to our home school, and ended up having a GREAT experience with the staff and teachers through out the year.
This year Kade is starting school, so I again went through the process of doing a "school of choice" and again - go denied. We worked with the staff and teachers to get our choice of teachers at our home school for both Kyla going into 2nd grade, and Kade into kindergarten and were happy with starting school. Kade is happy because we ride bikes past his kindergarten playground all the time, and Kyla gets to see her 1st grade teacher again. I am unhappy because my friend's daughter is also starting kindergarten ( at my school of choice ) as well as Kyla's good friends got approved for school of choice. I was feeling like the only person to ever get denied in.
Just yesterday, a few days after we got the room assignments for our home school, we got a letter that has the above stamp on it. What does that mean exactly? I don't completely know. What I do know is that it means I have to think about it again. I had closed the door to it for another year and found peace with it, but do things ever end that way for me? NO they do NOT. In the grand scheme of things, obviously I know this is not that big of a deal... but in the small area of my world / brain, it's annoying.
I'm also pretty sure that it means that we wont know if there is "available space" until after they have already started at our home school. I'm not leaning towards switching them 1-2 weeks in, especially if they like their teachers. I mean, what if that irritates the teachers at the other school? What if it's a bad transition? AND the big question I have that leans me towards making the change: What if this is my ONLY chance to get into the school while they are still in their early years of education.
Any thoughts?
No comments:
Post a Comment