Kyla: I'm not going to kiss my boyfriend until we get married.
Kade: Who am I going to fall in love with mommy?
Me: In about 20 years, you'll meet someone that makes you happier than you have ever been before - that's who you'll love.
Kade: I need to know right now! Kyla, I'll just pick you. I'll marry you I guess.
Kyla: Brothers and sisters DON'T get married Kade, you have to find someone else!
Kade: But who will help you when you have a baby in your tummy? I'll help you take care of the baby.
Kyla: My husband will. I want 1 kid. Wait, no I want 2 kids. One 12 year old and one baby so the 12 year old can take care of the baby. ( SMART girl!! )
Kade: Fine. Whatever Kyla. MOM, can brothers and sisters get married?
Me: No Kade, they can't. Kyla can be your best friend, but trust me, you wont want her to be your wife.
Kade: Kyla, lets go ride bikes!
------------------------------------------------------------
Setting of scene:
I had just broken the news to the children about Robert's dear friend Brian passing away. I had gotten through telling the boys without tears and too much breaking down, but when it came to tell Kyla I couldn't hold it in anymore.
Kade's response to the news: "you have got to be kidding me? I just saw him at the hospital, he only hurt his leg?!" That struck me very hard because if my 5 year old can feel the sense of shock and tragedy in this fact, I can't fathom how the family felt.
Kyla's response to the news: ( Please know I don't mean this to be funny- as in no way did she mean it as anything less than an absolute wonderful thing )
Mom, I'm so sorry that Uncle Brian has passed, but if you think about it, he's in a way better place AND ( with bright wide eyes ) he gets to hang out with Michael Jackson and Aunt Hattie!
I think I hugged her tighter than I have in months. Sweet, sweet girl.
Since then I've gotten lots of questions from them like:
Can Uncle Brian hear us talking?
Will Uncle Brian be able to call us still?
When will he get to leave God?
Such profound discussions for a 5 & 6 year old.
--------------------------------------------------------
Scene set:
Camryn's birthday party - lots of kids, 2 boys named Jack. One 5½ and very aware of the fact that other kids are named Jack, and my 4 yr old Jack.
I wish I could remember exactly what got us to this part of the conversation, but I think it had something to do with the names on the party bags :)
Jack Beard: He's not the real Jack, I'm the only real Jack.
Me / Robert / Nicole: His name is Jack too, you are both Jack's.
Jack B: we can't be both Jack's, I'm the REAL Jack.
Me; you can both be named Jack, you are Jack Beard, he is Jack Summer's -
Nicole: and actually, he was born before you too!
Jack B: Well he can be Jack too, but I'm the real Jack.
One of us: So he's just a pretend Jack then?
Jack B: Yes, he can be Jack, but only pretend, and I'm the only real Jack.
Me or Robert: What about Papa? His name is Jack too.
Jack B: I'm the real Jack.
Me: Ok, whatever.
I was in shock for this conversation. I know he's been getting more and more aggressive and stubborn, but for some reason this particular topic really caught me off guard. He wasn't budging at all! I guess this is an occasion of picking your battles - especially when you notice that the older Jack could have cared less. ( thank fully ) :)
No comments:
Post a Comment