Monday, April 5, 2010

A wake up call

Lately Kyla has been having a significant amount of breakdowns that include fit throwing, and tattle-telling. She's been severely crying about things like her brother throwing paper in her direction and similar type of insignificant actions.

She can't seem to sit still at dinner, she can't seem to focus on a single task, and she certainly can't seem to calm down very easily if she gets worked up about something.

I admittedly have not been proud of the amount of patience I have had for these type of actions on her part. In my head, I know that I put extra pressure on her, however I convince myself that Im consistent with it and don't expect things from her that she, herself, has not already shown me she is capable of doing.

Well, I was having a conversation with my dear friend Bill and he has, with one sentence, put in perspective this whole topic. He said: "It must be hard for her to have the brain of a 10 year old, and the emotions of a 5 year old. "

That hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm still tearing up about it, and have vowed to keep that statement readily available, when she indeed acts like the 5 year old that she most certainly is. Of course when she turns 6 in 2 months, I'll have to revisit this post. KIDDING!


No comments: