Friday, April 16, 2010

Kyla is growing up toooooooo fast.

I remember at the beginning of the year, when we were weighing the pro's and con's about bumping Kyla up to the first grade, wondering if it would make her timid or grow up too fast.

Well, I'm going out on a limb here and say that timid behavior is not one of the side effects that I've witnessed through out this school year so far. In fact, we just finished having a conversation about how they have clubs in her class and which kids are the popular kids and which kids are the mean kids.

I asked her what popular means. She said - "Oh you know what it means mom!" I said that I did know what it means, but that I wanted to hear what she thought it meant. She beat around the bush a little, then finally said: " to act cool and stuff. "

My version of popular was: That you know a lot of people and a lot of people know who you are BUT that it doesn't really count unless your nice to all of those people that you know. She doubted my knowledge ( of course ) at first, but then went with it. We talked about how being mean will stop good things from happening. She said: "your RIGHT mom! She's never been student of the month!" :o)

What really brought this whole post on, is her fascination lately with some teenage singer named Justin Bieber. She wants his books, and his CD, and he was even on at TARGET tonight. I had no idea what she was talking about. Also - Becky was here yesterday, and Kyla was asking tons of questions about when Becky "got" her baby and stuff. I found a picture from the day after Ella was born and showed her. She said, "WOW - so that's what I'm going to look like when I have a baby in my belly! Sweet." The day before that she said: "you know what I wish for mom, I wish I could have a husband." Oh yes she did.

I completely realize this is all normal and is absolutely what happens - but I don't like it. LOL

The worst thing about today - is that I had her try on a new bathing suit and she said she didn't like it because her tummy stuck out too far. This is something I MUST change, but frankly will need some guidance on, because I have all of those same issues. I know that I'm very very aware of what I say about how I feel about myself, in front of her, and if I exercise it's never "to lose weight" it's always "to be healthy." I just have to hope that I'm more successful at teaching than doing I suppose.


1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh wow Shan! I'm fascinated and mortified at the same time, being as I have two daughters and all. I also focus on the "I'm getting healthy" and not "I'm trying to loose weight" issue. I have to say though, I dont remember having these particular thoughts at that young of an age (popularity, bathing suit issues, pregnancy and wanting a husband). I think I was still pretty much into barbies and putting make-up on my barbie head.