Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A conversation with Kade

Last night Kade was really giving me a hard time - so he spent a lot of time in his room. It's his big giant time-out room. It's impossible to use a "spot" with him.

Anyway - He gets pissed when he gets in trouble and throws things around his room, which just delays his exit even more because he has to pick up everything he threw before he can leave. Last night he got put in his room for his mouthiness. He locked the door!

Me: Kade, unlock the door. We don't lock doors.
Kade: No I don't want to, I don't want anyone in my room.
Me: Kade, unlock the door now, or I will take the door off.
Kade: How do you think you are going to do that?
Me: With daddy's tools.Kade: go ahead, I want to see you do it.
Me: Kade you better unlock this door now, or I will have to give you a spanking.
Kade: Now how are you going to do that with the door locked mom?

I couldn't stop laughing at that point and had to walk away and get Robert.

I'm trying to laugh about the little funny times now, but my difficult, emotional, dramatic Kade is really wearing on my patience and ability as a mother lately. I know he is going to grow up with the same mental anquish his daddy has / had and I just want to do the right thing and make his child-hood better than Robert's was because no one addressed his issues. This is weighing very heavy on me and I feel like it's all on my shoulders.

Sorry, I'm emotional, sensitive and over-analyzing everything today.


2 comments:

Jeana said...

I am big believer in more love - instead of more yelling - and wish I could ALWAYS practice what I preach. I hate that I feel like I yell all the time. Then you feel bad... it is a vicious cycle. Hang in there Shannon. He will come around and hopefully - like our moms - your memories will all be great! Your a great mommy with a BIG HEART and that is what is important!

Anonymous said...

Kade is a perfect comparisment to a little Jeckle-n-Hyde(SP?)....You even said to me how he hasn't quite gotten the "consequences" of things yet so we give him two choices...and once you give him a chance to think about what you just said-he is READY to DO THE RIGHT THING. He has the shortest fuse I have ever seen for a kid his age. You have to keep hoping that will change and until them, just do things exactly the way you are. No one knows Kade better than you sweetie. You are amazing and I want you to stop over-analyzing him, as his grandma, I do think he needs to have something taken away for his actions/behavior before getting any little thing(even as small as a piece of gum)HE HATES GETTING SLIGHTED over here.But will tell the world if HE got rewarded before anyone else did! Gotta LOVE him! Love you so much, MOM...PS What are we doing for your Birthday?...lets include a cocktail shall we!!!