Friday, September 10, 2010

My favorite moment of the week.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to go through a 3 drawer plastic bin that I have in our craft room. The bin's contents are all of the kids artwork, crafts, creative things they do, and homework from about a year's time. I needed to clean out the past year's items to make room for the new millions of papers that would be brought home through out the upcoming year.


Organization is right up Kade's alley, so I solicited his help to get it done and to sneak in some time with him. I was quite impressed with how he agreed to throw away all pictures that were simply just coloring book pages, and keep the pages where he was learning something and / or following directions. We got through is drawer and Jack's drawer without incident and we both felt quite accomplished!


Now it came to do Kyla's drawer. Keep in mind, Kyla sat back quiety and observed the other 2 bins, while sometimes throwing in an occasional: " awh, look at how cute that picture is! " Kade however, was not so inclined to sit back and just allow Kyla to actually organize something without him. He physically looked pained when he was asked to do so. Thankfully Kyla tired of doing it quickly ( as she does with most chore type activities ) and delegated to Kade to help place the papers into the appropriate stacks of keep, toss, and "room 35 work."

Fast forward about half way through the bin and we find this:


If you look closely at the top, you'll see that Kade's name is the ONLY name that has a sad face and a NO next to it. He noticed this right away and questioned Kyla: " why would you have a No and a sad face next to JUST MY NAME?" Very very vulnerable-like he was. She said, " Oh Kade, this was a really long time ago and I was very mad at you. " Kade responded with an immediate: "well then it definitely goes in the toss pile." ( with a very genuine sad face that I rarely see .. most sad faces are manipulative and evil ) Kyla said: "No way Kade, I was just mad, I was like 4 or something." Kade says: "well then I'm going to rip it up. You just can not keep that. I can't let you keep it." I figure it's about time to chime in, so I suggest: "how about if Kyla marks out the No and puts a yes?" He reluctently agreed, but he did. So Kyla takes a pencil and markes out the No and puts a yes and says; "Oh, I guess I should make a happy face too right?" Kade takes a deep breath and feels better - so much better he adds: "why don't you go ahead and add; " and I love my brother Kade" too right away. " All 3 of us instantly cracked up.

No comments: