The academic end of things, I have no concern about. She really is one of those kids. I'm her mom, yes, but she really is. I went to her school today to see the testing that they've done with her, and I had tears in my eyes. She's so smart you guys. So smart. She has a photographic memory just like her daddy, and her meme sure has done an AMAZING job as her pre-k teacher through education and life. She's passing tests a high number of 1st graders don't pass towards the end of the year, much less at the beginning. She needs it academically - especially since we will not be doing private school for the more advanced learning and individual attention.
2) She is very mature for her age. She flocks to older kids, and prefers them. She doesn't always play well or communicate well with girls and most children her age.
3) Academically she is passing what end of the year 1st graders are required to pass on 80% of the tests.
4) I told the teacher about my concerns for her emotional stability and she reassured me as I mentioned to her, that this is not taken lightly. This is not something that they would do just because she "knows more than the rest" She said she is one of the most mature children she has ever taught. She said she's only known her for 4 days, but with 100% confidence she would move her child up, if she was in my position. She's shown her work to 2 1st grade teachers, and the principal.
5) if it doesn't work, she can go back with no negative status within a month or so.
6) I don't want Kyla to skate through life. She needs challenges, she needs to know what it feels like to fail and regain her strength and keep trying.
Robert and I will need to just focus on parenting her as an individual and keep her grounded. We'll make some unique and some pre-planned decisions as they are appropriate for situations that arise. We'll keep her confidence built and keep her reality stable.
When I talked to her about it, she said she will miss Aiden, but is glad they can still do homework together at meme's house, and she said that she hasn't learned every letter of the alphabet yet in sign language, so she'll need to hurry and do that first. When I assured her that her new teacher wouldn't be upset about the sign language thing, I also had to promise her that I would buy her a book and teach her the letter's myself. She jumped up and said: "I'M IN 1st GRADE NOW!"
As my friend Bill said, there are much worse things that we could be dealing with when it comes to our kids. I am so blessed.
Her teacher told her to please write out a sentence on her own - she wanted to see how she spelled phonetically. I cried when I saw this. My baby girl wrote this without asking even one question of the teacher. ( sorry, part of it is cut off )
3 comments:
So proud of her and you!!! I cant wait to watch her excel in 1st grade!!!!!! P.s. SHE MADE ME PLAY CANDYLAND! Ugh. ;p
Super Proud!!!But can't imagine they wouldn't build her a packet full of all the things she excells in, so she can be a kinder kid too! They have good programs out there.She IS shy like you were as a child, which can bring unwanted tears! Still a hard call...XOXOX
Whatever decision you & Robert come to will be the BEST one...no one knows her better than you guys...and us of course!! XOXOX
Post a Comment