Wednesday, December 19, 2007

1st experience with a babysitter other than mom!

We went to a Christmas Party at Mahe last night, and my mom already had plans so we asked my cousin Cierra ( 16 yrs old ) to watch all 3 kids. My mom was supposed to leave her party around 8 and go help Cierra, Jack usually goes to bed at 7, the kids were skipping their bath, and we left at 5:45, so she would have only had to deal with all 3 for about an hour and a 1/2....
Well - that's not how the night went.
First, my mom didnt show up until 9ish due to several different things & Jack didn't go to bed until closer to 8:30....
I got a call from Cierra about 7:45 telling me they were going to make a Cake and she couldn't figure out how to turn the oven on. Ok... this didn't sound like something you would normally want your babysitter to do being as I'm picturing the kids fighting, screaming, running around, etc... and generally not listening like they do to us. Anyway - no problem - we told her how to turn the oven on ( not her fault, we have a VERY strange oven by the way )
I asked her if baby Jack was still up and she said that he was and was happy as can be!

I called her later to see if she knew how to turn the oven off ( again, very strange way ) she said she figured that out, but she was changing Jack and about to put him down.
Then I called a little later and she was giving the kids a bath - I didn't even moderately suggest she give the kids a bath, I was skipping a bath to make the night easier and actually give myself some time to get ready to go.

So basically - if I didn't get this across by my wording above - I AM SO UNBELIEVABLY IMPRESSED.
And the topper - when we got home, my mom was there and ALL 3 kids were asleep!!!!!!!!
My house was just as clean as I left it, she cleaned all the stuff she used to make the cake, she BATHED my kids, she said she had a lot of fun with them and they were really really good ???
I'm thinking she had to be lying - but I'll believe her anyway.
I am so grateful, and hopefully she wont mind doing it again for us... I LOVE HER! She could make so much money if she wanted to do this for other people too! The peace of mind is worth millions!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that our kids are so "cute, well-behaved, angels" when were not around?? Wow, a cake and baths!!! By the way, I can't believe Ciara is 16... wasn't she just born???

themonteleones said...

You are so right....everybody needs a good babysitter. I have a great one too. She is babysitting for me on Friday and we don't even have any plans, but at least I'm not the one feeding, bathing and putting my kids to bed for one night!

ErinBW said...

They save their best behavior for people OTHER than their parents. As a teacher I get this all the time. It's because they know they get unconditional love from you, so they can be themselves.