Thursday, April 3, 2008

Overanalyzing is going to be the death of me someday!

So you would think that I was planning a wedding or something with how rediculous I have been on trying to decide what to do for the 3 kids and celebrating their birthday's this year.

Back and forth back and forth, and my mom is even worse! She would call me every day with a different suggestion and thought on what to do and it was driving me nuts.

We agreed we weren't up for 2 big parties 2 months in a row that was step one. Now, what to do besides that is what killed me. Kyla has been wanting a princess party, but the other night I asked her if she felt like just doing something special for her birthday with mom and dad and she said, and I quote: " Sure, that sounds good - lets just go out for dinner." SHE IS SO MY DAUGHTER, I LOVE IT. I giggled and asked if she's sure she didn't want to do something more exciting. She thought again and said: "Well, I really liked Disneyland and that's bigger. I want to take Kade this time though."
I told Robert that and a few days later he basically insisted that he and I just take K & K to Disneyland. This literally felt like he ripped my heart out because Jack wouldn't be with us. He tried to reassure me that he wouldn't know the difference right now, but I didn't care. I said he will know when he's 10 and wants to look at old pictures and asks what we did for his 2nd birthday ( being I have a million pictures from both Kyla and Kade's 2nd birthdays )
Sooo... finally deciding on having Jack's b-day be celebrated when we have our bbq has given my over analyzing, over protective, over stressed brain a breather and I'm so glad!
On to Kade: I haven't been pushing the potty training, but Jeana has inspired me. Kade's answer to every time I ask him to pee is: I already went in the toilet once, and I'll go when I'm bigger. So what I'm going to do now I think is measure him and act like he's bigger every day and be specific that I need him to go pee in EVERY toilet, not just our old one and see if that helps. He's almost at the point of being in trouble for not going but I really really really wanted to avoid that - it feels like it would cause him to rebel because that's just what he does.

2 comments:

Jeana said...

Personally, I don't think punishing is good for potty training. We started with rewarding for trying, then only a reward for going. I used a timer, too. 5 min. on, 10-15 min. off. I only put her in underwear, too. I really wanted to focus on her being "proud" of herself, as opposed to feeling shame for not going or having an accident. Having said all that, Angie is right: you can't make them pee in the toilet, eat, or sleep!!! P.S. I need your cell number... again:)

themonteleones said...

You have always been the deepest thinker that I know.